7 Reasons to Invest in Personal Growth
How many weekends of the year have you committed to personal growth and development? Is this something you consciously choose to do? What is your budget for personal growth in 2017-2018? Over a decade ago I was introduced to this amazing world of personal growth and development. And what I have found is that there are many great reasons to invest in personal growth, year after year. I’ll share my top seven with you in this post.
‘Growth is not additive; it’s de-constructive.’
Dr. Shefali, author of The Conscious Parent, shared this nugget of wisdom with us at the Archangel Summit 2017 this past weekend. I had never considered growth in this way. However it makes a lot of sense when you take a moment to really think about it. In order for us to grow and change as a human being, there is often a challenge we must overcome or something we have to let go of.
Personal growth is uncomfortable. It’s not easy, and that’s why most people tend to avoid it. We are invited to look at the things that aren’t in alignment with who we really are. Yet in order to become the best version of ourselves, we’ve got to make the choice to invest our time (and our money) into growth.
Here are my top 7 reasons to invest in personal growth:
1. To step out of mediocrity. It’s very easy to life just like everyone else and to choose to run on the treadmill of life. There is a positive shift happening in our society right now. More and more people are choosing to take the road less travelled and step away from the paradigm we seem to be locked into. And the first step on this journey is to invest in personal growth. A great place to start would be The Magic of Thinking Big by David Schwartz. It’s a classic with a message that never goes out of style.
2. To meet amazing people. Investing in a live event or a course that’s geared towards growth you get to meet the most wonderful people. Chances are the people who surround you at the office aren’t inspiring you to live your dreams and be your best self. What I’ve found is that by attending a live event, such as the Archangel Summit, you meet like-minded individuals.
We’ve heard it said time and time again, that you are the sum of the 5 people with whom you spend the most time. If you’d like to find a new group of 5, attending a live personal development event would be an amazing place to start. Choosing an event can be a challenge however. After having attended the Archangel Summit two years in a row, I would highly recommend making the investment for the 2018 event.
3. To find our WHY. It’s often painful to take a closer look at who we are and WHY we are. Simon Sinek, author of Start With Why, shared with us many strategies to find our WHY at the Archangel Summit. Personal growth is inter-twined with finding our why. To paraphrase Sinek, your WHY is a process of discovery. It is your origin story, wrapped up in the happy memories that you’ve held on to since childhood. Much of what we work through when we are investing in personal development helps us to clarify who we are and why we are here.
4. To be inspired. Motivation and inspiration are not the same thing. Have you ever tried to motivate someone to do something? It’s not usually a success and I find that motivation wears off very quickly. Motivation is the ‘general desire or willingness of someone to do something.’ This means that motivation is intrinsic, or that it comes from inside of us. So if we aren’t ready or willing to do something, no one else can provide the motivation.
Inspiration on the other hand, is ‘the process of being mentally stimulated to do or feel something, especially to do something creative.’ This means that inspiration is usually extrinsic, or comes from something or someone outside of ourselves. Inspiration can help us to take action. This often happens when we hear a powerful story shared by someone on stage or even when reading it in a book.
5. To challenge our way of thinking. We spend the majority of our lives surrounded by the herd. What I mean is that most of the people we spend time with have similar beliefs to our own. It’s natural to want to spend time with others who are like us. However when the goal is growth, we’ve got to change the way we think. Ponder this for a moment, if you already thought the way a millionaire thinks, you would already be a millionaire. A great book to learn more about how millionaires think is Secrets of the Millionaire Mind by T. Harv Eker.
6. To learn to create wealth. The great Jim Rohn once said ‘formal education will make you a living; self-education will make you a fortune.’ We aren’t even taught how to manage money in school, let alone how to create wealth. Our current education system is great for creating employers and managers, but not really suited as well for those who are creative and want to build wealth. For the time being, the best way to learn how to create wealth is to invest in personal development.
Rest assured, wealth doesn’t only mean dollars and cents. For most wealthy people, being wealthy means financially, spiritually, physically and mentally. As well as having healthy adult relationships. All of these are a part of creating wealth. Robert Kiyosaki does a great job of explaining how to create wealth in his book Rich Dad, Poor Dad. This book will also challenge your way of thinking.
7. To become the best human we can be. Isn’t this the real goal in life? To be the best version of YOU that you could possibly be? What is so wonderful is that the best version of me doesn’t look anything like the best version of you. We are all unique and special human beings, and we’ve each got a gift to share. It’s up to you to choose whether or not you’d like to explore and grow to find your gift.
Imagine a world where each person had the opportunity to be the BEST version of themselves? We could create so much faster than we already do, and create even more things we haven’t even dreamed of yet.
I believe that each one of us has a gift to unlock, and the key to unlocking it starts with personal development.
What are you doing on a daily basis to grow and develop personally?
Wealthylicious Burlington is BACK!: Want to learn how to create wealth? Please join me for an evening of wealth, wisdom and wellness on Tuesday Oct 2nd at the Burlington Golf & Country Club. This event is full of great speakers who will share their expertise. Key topics include creating wealth and the power of network marketing. We’ll also cover how to diversify your income and invest in your health. http://www.wealthyliciousburlington.eventbrite.ca.