9 Things to Create More Of In 2016
It’s the morning of the last day of 2015. For some of us, 2015 was an amazing year filled with success, joy and gratitude. For others, it was a difficult year filled with loss and heartache. No matter what this past year has held for you, tomorrow is new chapter for all of us. It’s true that we are given the gift to start over each and every morning, yet there is something infinitely more special about waking up to the dawn of another calendar year.
Gratitude Tip: Tonight, make sure you let go of 2015, whether it was your best year yet or your worst. Leave it in the past and embrace the blank slate that is before you in 2016. Spend a few moments in gratitude for the year that has passed and that you are here to celebrate the New Year. Give thanks for the good, the great and the difficult things that you made it through in 2015.
9 Things To Create More Of In 2016 (countdown style, as it’s New Year’s Eve!)
9. Success – We all want more success than the previous year, it is human nature to strive to be better than we were before. Keys to creating more success this year include setting clear and concise goals and staying accountable to these goals on a daily basis. Choose your three most important goals for 2016, and then break them down to the simple daily actions you have to take in order to reach them.
8. Inspired Action – Our simple daily actions to reach our goals will be even more powerful if we add a bit of inspiration behind them. Have a rock solid ‘WHY’ as the foundation for our goals is what will lead us to creating inspired action. Do you know the ‘WHY’ behind what you are aiming for in 2016? What does achieving your goals really mean for you? How will your life change when you reach or even exceed your goals? Success without inspired action does not come as easily, nor does it feel as good.
7. Connections – What if next year was all about creating new connections and making new friends? In many ways, we live in a disconnected world and we’re spending much of our time hiding behind our screens rather than making real connections. Let’s change this for 2016 and be more open to meeting new people and allowing them to be a part of our lives, no matter how big or small their role might be. Take time to look people in the eye and smile. Add value to the people around you everywhere you are.
6. Being of Service – My word of the year is Service and I am working on becoming more of a servant leader. Create more opportunities to be of service to others this year. Volunteer for a charity you love, offer to help a friend who is going through a difficult time and most of all, lead with a servant heart wherever you go.
5. Positive Influence – When people are in your presence, do they feel more positive and uplifted? Your energy has a direct effect on those you come into contact with. This year, be the one who is the most positive in the room. Choose your words with care and be the light for others. And when you find yourself in a negative space, instead of spreading the negativity around, connect with someone in your life who is in a positive space and ask them to simply listen. Should you be the one who is asked to listen, open your heart and connect with compassion.
4. Creativity – Creating more creativity sounds like a lot of fun! How can we do this? Where are the opportunities in your day to be more creative? Blogging daily has given me the opportunity to work on my creativity by finding something new to write about, all with the underlying theme of gratitude. Adult colouring books are very popular and are a simple and fun way to be more creative. Trying out a new hobby or sport also works the creative part of our brains. I have seen many of you posting your beautiful paintings on Facebook and Instagram, many who have never done anything like this before. The world needs your creative gifts! Find a way to unlock them in 2016.
3. Healthier Lifestyles – What if this year you were in your best health ever? How would that translate to all of the other things you are creating in your life? New Years’ resolutions are a good place start, however they tend to expire within a few weeks. Make a year-long commitment to creating a healthier lifestyle for yourself and to inspire those around you. Creating new health habits takes time. Give yourself the gift of incredible health in 2016 and everything else will fall into place much more easily.
2. Love –This is one of the most important things we want to create more of in 2016. Love is free. Unconditional love is one of the greatest gifts we can give each other. The more love you give away, the more love there is, as it has such a beautiful multiplying effect. Give a smile, you usually get one back. Give a hug, and one is returned. Let’s create more unconditional love in 2016 – meaning that I love you (yes, YOU) no matter who you are or what you have or haven’t done. My love has no conditions. I love you simply because you are a human being, and all human beings are worthy of love.
1. Gratitude – This is the foundation for everything that I create in my own life and it is my driving passion in life. There is always room for more gratitude in our lives. I am committed to deepening my own gratitude practice in 2016. I will be working with Gratefulness.org as an amazing resource for all things gratitude and I encourage you to spend some time on this site as well. How can you deepen your own gratitude practice in 2016?