Be the light, love and joy in someone else’s life today. There are always going to be people in our lives or our communities that are going through challenging times. Today I encourage you to be the one who makes a difference for them, in a small or big way. You never know how much of an impact you may have on someone.
Gratitude Tip: We are all incredibly powerful beings of light and love. And we have the power to make someone’s day better or worse with our words and our actions. Although we are not responsible for how someone else reacts to what we say or do, we are responsible for our own decisions and actions.
Here are a few simple ways that you can make a difference for someone else today:
- Smile. One of the best gifts you can give another person is to simply look them in the eye and smile. It can be uncomfortable to do this with a stranger, but if you have the courage to do so, it’s incredibly powerful. I highly recommend greeting all of the service people you come across today with a big smile.
- Hug. Most of us don’t get very many hugs on a daily basis. And did you know that we need at least 12 hugs a day for growth and a minimum of 4 just for survival? What’s great about a hug is that you usually get one in return. I love it when I meet someone new and they are a hugger as well, and instead of shaking hands, we hug. It brings us all closer together.
- Speak kindly. Whether a person is in the room or not, use kind words. Our words to carry energy so if we are speaking negatively about someone and they are not there, they can still feel the energy of our words. If you are frustrated or angry with someone, choose your words wisely. A few words said in a negative state can ruin a relationship for life.
- Pray. Praying for others is one way to make a difference. As we wrap up the 40 Day Prayer Challenge (Day 38 today), I have been praying for many people throughout the month and I truly believe it has made a difference for many of them. I started writing down the names of the people I have said I would pray for, so that I can remember everyone.
- Respond. One of the things that often frustrates others is the silence from others on social media. We have thousands and thousands of ‘followers’ yet only a few ever interact. If you want to make a difference in someone’s day, take the time to write a positive comment on their social media post. People will notice that you took the time to care and response.
- Be there. Sometimes all that a person needs is for you to be there. Just to keep them company, listen (or sit quietly) and perhaps allow them the space to be sad or grieve as needed. It’s not necessary to keep a brave face at all times, and by allowing someone the space and time to be sad can be a huge gift for someone else.
- Love unconditionally. This one can be difficult. How can we love each other without conditions? One of the strategies that I use is to assume that everyone is always doing their best at every moment. This melts away frustration and leads to understanding, and helps me to keep my heart open. The biggest lesson that Jesus taught us was to love each other as he loved us. No conditions. Rich or poor, thief or prince, sick or healthy, it didn’t matter to him. In fact, most of the stories we read in the Bible are about how he served those who were sick, poor and rejected by the rest of society. And he loved them all.
Will you be the difference for someone today? What others way can we make a difference in someone’s life today?
Did you know that the new USANA MySmartBars will be featured on the Dr. Oz Show TODAY July 20th? Set your PVR to record it! My favorite is the Dark Chocolate, hands down. These new premier protein snacks are filled with healthy fats and fiber and no added sugar! More info on www.supplementsburlington.com (check out Diet & Energy).
Blogs you might enjoy:
Love these blog posts? I would be honoured to have a place in your inbox daily. Yes, that’s right, I publish a new blog post with a gratitude tip every single day. If you haven’t subscribed yet, you can sign up here.