Cancer SUCKS. We all know this. Yet every day I am faced with the news that someone else I know, or a friend of a friend is dealing with a cancer diagnosis. And most of these friends are in their 30s and 40s. Cancer can be treated. And most of the treatments are AWFUL. It’s not something we would ever want to see our loved ones go through, yet it happens every single day. Today I want to have a serious talk about prevention. It’s no longer optional to take care of your health right now. Ask anyone who has survived cancer, they will tell you that they are doing everything possible to make sure that it never returns.
Gratitude Tip: Life is such a beautiful and amazing gift. Taking daily action steps to prevent degenerative diseases is all about gratitude. It’s about being grateful for the amazing organism you are. It’s being grateful for the life you have been given and the gifts you have to offer. It’s about gratitude for your cells. Start today and make optimal health your lifelong goal.
I don’t have all of the answers. Nor is this list complete. Having been in the nutrition and wellness field for over a decade, I have seen what does work (and what really doesn’t). Some of these may surprise you and others are obvious but are often taken for granted so we don’t practice them every day. My vision is that we all live to be 100+ in optimal health – not suffering from illness and wasting away for years or even decades. And it’s never too late to join the optimal health train! Or too early for that matter. Your cells will thank you regardless of how old or young you are.
Top Ten Ways to Create Optimal Health:
- Choose your language and your thoughts wisely. You may have noticed that instead of the top ten ways to prevent disease, I chose top ten ways to create optimal health. Our thoughts and our words create our reality. Full stop. Whether you believe in the law of attraction or not, is not important because it’s happening in every moment of every day. You are the creator of your own life. And if you choose to focus on fear – i.e. worrying about cancer – rather than joy or gratitude, you will end up with exactly what you’ve been thinking and feeling. It will show up in your life. The good news is that you can start today to change your thought patterns. Start with the first 4 minutes of this audio by Abraham (via Esther Hicks).
- Surround yourself with positive and encouraging people. We are the product of the five people we are spending the most time with. If you are spending time with toxic, negative people, that will show up in your cells. Did you know that your emotions both positive and negative can actually affect the way your cells function and even the way your genes are expressed? Totally incredible science called epigenetics! In a nutshell, our emotions create chemical reactions that create hormones that circulate in our bodies. These hormones then affect the way our cells function. The more positive hormones, the better our cells function! If you are living with a very negative person, for your health and the health of the ones you love, it may be time to take action to chance that situation.
- Eat real food. Food is the first step in getting your macro (fats, protein, carbs and fiber) and micro (vitamins, minerals, anti-oxidants) nutrients. Our body needs food for fuel and for all of the thousands of functions and chemical reactions that are happening at any given time. Choosing to eat as much real food as possible is vital for optimal health. Turn the food pyramid upside down and build your diet on a base of vegetables and fruit. Choose whole fruit or fruit & veggie smoothies to keep your blood sugar from spiking. There are so many amazing recipes and options for great tasting healthy food today. If you’re looking for guidance or want to get back on track with healthy eating, check out the 30 Day Whole Body Detox program. It’s a real food program that nourishes your body at a cellular level. I’ll be starting the fall edition on Sept 19th.
- Enjoy green juice. There are also some incredible benefits to green juice. I want to add a word of caution here, when juicing it’s best to have an 80/20 ratio of veggies to fruit. Also, you want to choose cold-pressed juice that is freshly made (consume within 24 hours) or you will lose much of the nutritional value of the juice. Juicing is a great way to consume the nutrition from a very large amount of veggies that you would not be able to consume otherwise. It can provide an amazing concentrated dose of nutrition without any difficulties digesting it.
- Sleep 8 hours a night. This has to be a non-negotiable. I see many entrepreneurs who sacrifice their sleep in order to get ahead and for a short time, this can work. However, a consistent sleep deficit can have many serious consequences on our health. Ask any new parent about their concentration, their energy and their ability to fight off infection. All are compromised when we don’t sleep. For more ideas on improving your sleep, I highly recommend The Sleep Doctor, Dr. Michael Breus. I have had the chance to hear him speak live on several occasions and his advice is simple, yet very effective.
- Exercise daily. At the very least get up off your chair. We’ve all heard that sitting is the new smoking, so it’s time to get moving. The options are truly endless when it comes to exercise, whether you want to do a program from home, go to the gym, take a class or simply go for a walk outside (my favorite). I did a ballet/barre class last year and I LOVED it. Also, when you drink more water (another key to optimal health), you end up getting up from your chair a lot more often to visit the washroom.
- Supplement. And not just with any supplements, make sure you are choosing a pharmaceutical grade product like USANA Health Sciences. One common objection I hear from potential clients is that supplements aren’t effective. It’s true that many supplements aren’t very effective and the reason is poor quality of raw materials, doses that aren’t high enough to make a difference (you’re better off to eat an apple for example) and products that aren’t even absorbed. This is where USANA products are much different. By using the highest quality raw materials, in doses that have been scientifically shown to make a difference at the cellular level and products that meet USP dissolution standards (dissolve within 30 minutes), the products actually make a significant difference. And with the new, patent-pending and world-exclusive InCelligence technology, these products are like nothing on the market.
- Reduce your stress. This should probably be #1 on the list. Stress is a major underlying factor in the development of degenerative disease and it’s nothing new. When I was in high school I remember learning that stress was a key factor in heart attack risk. And it’s become a normal way of being to constantly have stress in our lives. This is probably the most damaging thing that we are doing to our cells on a daily basis and it’s the one that is hardest to see. Reducing stress has to be a priority, or else everything else you do on this list will not be as effective. Begin by acknowledging that you have stress in your life. Then take steps daily to reduce it. Eliminate things from your life that are no longer serving you and learn to say NO.
- Make self-care a priority. This will automatically reduce your stress levels. Self-care is not selfish. Taking care of ourselves helps us to be our best selves and then allows us to show up for others as best as we can. Self-care can be done in so many different ways, it’s not only about a day at the spa (although that’s a real treat for most of us). For me, self-care includes my daily walks outside, morning prayer, journaling, massages and reading. That may not seem like self-care to many people, but these are all things that help renew my energy and feel my soul. You’ve got to find what you need and carve out the time for it.
- Focus on joy, love, gratitude and FUN! Our time here is very short! And often we spend far too much time worrying and stressed out to enjoy it. Wake up with gratitude, and give thanks for the day ahead. Spread love everywhere you go! And make time for fun, even if it’s just singing at the top of your lungs in your car. A foundation of gratitude is fantastic for your health and well-being – ask anyone who is going through a cancer treatment and you’ll find that those who can still find something, anything to be grateful for tend to have more positive outcomes than those whose glass is always half empty.
It’s time we stopped taking our health for granted and time to invest in prevention. Life is far too short to spend any of our time here suffering. I would love to be of service on your optimal health journey. If you’re ready to get started, why not join me for the 30 Day Whole Body Detox program starting on either Sept 19th or Oct 11? You can order directly online or use the contact us tab for more info.
Blogs you might enjoy:
Love these blog posts? I would be honoured to have a place in your inbox daily. Yes, that’s right, I publish a new blog post with a gratitude tip several times a week. If you haven’t subscribed yet, you can sign up here.