Happy Valentine’s Day! There are lots of reasons to celebrate love every day, no need for a commercial holiday. In the spirit of this day, here are some fun ways to show someone you love them, any day of the year!
1.Do something without being asked to. It could be as simple as taking out the garbage when it’s full or putting away the groceries that someone else has done.
2. Pick up the phone and call. In this era of texting, What’sApp, SnapChat, FB messenger, once in a while it’s really nice to hear a live voice. Step it up a notch by using Skype or Facetime.
3. Once you’ve made the calls, turn off your phone and focus on the people around you for an hour. That may seems like an eternity to some, but to your children or your partner, it will mean the world.
4. Complete that nagging chore. Is there a picture to be hung? An appliance that needs to be fixed? A corner of the living room when everyone dumps their stuff? There was a super cute scene in the movie The Intern with Robert De Niro and Anna Hathaway, when De Niro’s character (the intern) cleans up a desk in the office (business owned by Hathaway’s character) where everyone had been dumping their stuff. Her reaction when she sees that it was cleaned up is priceless!
5. Read to someone. Not just to a child, try reading to your partner or teenagers. Dig out your copy of Harry Potter, you know you’ve got one lying around and change your voice with each character. Have fun with it!
6. Perform a Random Act of Kindness. An act of kindness makes anyone feel loved! Did you know that today (Feb 14th) is the first day of this year’s Random Acts of Kindness Week? You can even sign a kindness pledge right on their page.What random act can you do today?
7. Write a few gratitude cards. This is a wonderful way to show someone you love them, by putting into words why they are important to you and what you’re grateful for about them.
8. Ask them for feedback. I wrote a blog a few days ago about how to ask for feedback. Why not ask your partner on Valentine’s Day how you can be a better partner? They are probably in a good mood already so the feedback will likely be kind.
9. Give up something. Do you have a habit that drives your spouse nuts? Or something that your kids really don’t like that you do, perhaps smoking or drinking? Give it up, even just for 24 hours. It’s a start and will mean a lot.
10. HUG everyone (ask permission if it’s a stranger). We need at least a dozen hugs a day for growth. Show unconditional love for all human beings and hug as many people as possible today and this week. Why not? You may even make a few new friends along the way.
Have a wonderful Valentine’s Day everyone! Don’t forgot to post for day 17 of #40daysofgratitude challenge.