We are in the last few days of January! How did you do on keeping your New Year’s Resolutions? Or even better, sticking to working towards your 2012 goals? It’s a great time to check in, make sure you are on track and re-focus as need.
If one of your goals was to lose weight and eat healthy, here are a few tips to help you stay on track for the next 30 days (or 29, since Feb only has 29 days!):
- Keep your heart healthy this month – it’s National Heart Health Month. Simple things you can do include – 30-60 minutes of exercise a day, quit smoking and eat a healthy, balanced diet.
- What does a healthy, balanced diet looks like? Think of a dinner plate – half of it should be vegetables (salad, stir fry, raw veggies for example), 1/4 protein (size of the palm of your hand) and 1/4 whole grains (barley, quinoa, brown rice).
- Drink water. Lots of water. Juice has no place in a healthy diet, especially for kids. There is no fibre in juice and it’s high glycemic so it tends to spike blood sugar levels.
- Enjoy your 1-2 cups of java a day though! Coffee has many anti-oxidants and even Dr. Oz recommends it. Just remember to balance out your coffee intake with a good quality calcium supplement! I choose USANA Health Sciences pharmaceutical grade products for myself and my family.
- Give lots of hugs and kisses! This helps you stay in a happier mood, and it’s easy to stay on track with your healthy lifestyle when you’re happy. In fact, it’s recommended that you give at least 12 hugs a day. The bonus is that you’ll receive 12 hugs in return.