On Sunday we had a Girls Night – not your typical evening though because we’re all pregnant! It was a blast, 6 women, all having their first (or first two) babies within the next month to 3 months. No alcohol of course, but that didn’t stop us from having a fantastic time and laughing a lot. Meanwhile, some of the boys were enjoying a poker night. I heard they had fun, but I doubt they had as much fun as we did.
One of the things I have really enjoyed about being pregnant is meeting all of these amazing women! It’s a totally new circle of friends and a whole new community. Many of my closest friends already have children and this part of their lives has passed. I feel that it’s really important to connect with others who are going through the same stage of life right now – we have so much in common and we often share similar hopes and dreams.
I’d like to share a little bit from one of the things we did on Sunday. It might seem a bit cheesy, but once we got into it, we really enjoyed it. I thought it would be nice to do a gratitude exercise together – to keep focused on the positive things in our lives and to be in a positive mindset as we get closer to our due dates. The first exercise was to write down Things I Love About Being Pregnant. And the second was to write Things I’m Looking Forward to After Baby’s Birth Day. This is something that you could do with your family, or the girls (or the guys) – just choose an opening sentence that works for your situation. We wrote down many on our own and then brainstormed and shared ideas. It was a really great experience and a little bit emotional actually.
Here’s a few of the Things I Love About Being Pregnant:
- How affectionate my husband is – even more than before
- The new circle of friends I’ve met
- Feeling baby girl move
- Enjoying dessert!
- Learning about my body and being amazed at what it can do
- Imagining what baby girl looks like
- Having a human being growing inside me
- Going to the front of long bathroom lines
- Everyone’s excitement – family, friends, even strangers wish me well
And here are a few of the Things I’m Looking Forward to After Baby’s Birth:
- Meeting baby girl and looking into her eyes for the first time
- Falling in love with my daughter
- Being a mom
- Seeing my husband as a father
- Getting my body back!
- Using all of the cool baby stuff we bought
- Her first smile and laugh
- Drinking alcohol and eating sushi! (anyone up for a sushi date?)
- Meeting other new moms and continuing to build a community
Just writing that list out again put a smile on my face. It’s amazing how just a few minutes of gratitude can really make your day. I encourage you to do the same (or similar) exercise this week. It will allow you to change your focus – even if just for a few hours. Please share some of your gratitude thought in the comments. Create a wonderful day!