It’s true what they say – you can set the tone of your day by what you think and feel when you first wake up in the morning. Wake up thinking it’s going to be a great day – and it usually is. Wake up on the wrong side of the bed, and things usually go downhill from there.
How a bad day turned into a great day!
Yesterday I had a challenging day, it started off with one negative thing in the morning, and completely spiraled out of control from there. Have you ever had a day like that? Where nothing seemed to go right? And no matter how hard you trying to get out it, you just seemed to slip even further into negativity? These days are becoming more and more rare for me, but when it happens, it really throws me for a loop.
There were a few things I did to help me get through it, so I thought I’d share them with you, so that if you do find yourself in a similar situation one day, maybe it will help.
- I took a bubble bath. Something about the water and relaxing, helps to calm me down. I also like to read in the tub – great place to catch up on my reading!
- I pulled out one of my favorite books – Magic Of Thinking Big by David Schwartz. If you haven’t read this book, get it from the library or your nearest bookstore. It is one of the classics, in the neighborhood of Think and Grow Rich. I find it easy to read and it has some fantastic nuggets of inspiration and action.
- I took some time to rest and meditate. This is important in order to bring adrenaline and cortisol levels down (stress hormones, which aren’t always good for your body)
- I connected with close friends and family. Although I may not always listen to their advice, it’s nice to have those people in your life that you can just talk to, without judgment. And of course those who will kick you in the rear when you need it!
- Finally, I finished the day with a great live event for Agel. I had been feeling down and tired, and was ready to make excuses not to go out. It’s amazing how connecting with like-minded people can completely turn your day around. If you don’t have something like Agel, take a look at Meetup.com – you can probably find a few groups on their that have similar interests and may be fun to hang out with.
Not only that, the Canadian Men’s Hockey team won 8-2 over Germany last night, so that also helped. From a day that started on the negative side, it ended on a high note! I had a great sleep and woke up this morning, knowing that today is going to be a Great Day!!
Question of the day: What do you do when you are having a bad day? Please share your suggestions!