Everyone needs a little bit of comfort food in their lives, right? Grilled cheese has always been a favorite of mine and I’ve always enjoyed being a little bit creative. I have now learned to really enjoy Daiya cheese as a dairy-free alternative.
Now, a great grilled cheese is not only about the cheese but also the proper grilling of the bread. I will now share with you my SECRET grilled cheese method. Only if you promise not to share it!
Pesto-Swiss Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free Grilled Cheese
- 2 slices of gluten-free bread (check for eggs for a totally vegan sandwich)
- Earth Balance or other non-dairy spread (not margarine)
- 1 tsbp Linda’s Yummy Vegan Pesto (recipe from the 30 Day Whole Body Detox Guide) or your favorite pesto without cheese
- 1 Daiya swiss-style slice
- Pre-heat a frying pan on medium heat
- Spread Earth Balance on one side of each slice of bread
- Pick up one slice of bread and spread the pesto on the other side. Place the first slice immediately on the frying pan, Earth Balance side down. Lower heat by 1-2 settings (i.e. from 5 to 4)
- Place Swiss-style slice on top, you may have to break it in a few pieces to make it fit
- Pick up second slice of bread and spread the pesto on the other, place it on top of the cheese, pesto side down.
- Cover the frying pan and grill for 3 minutes
- After 3 minutes, check to see if underside is grilled to a crisp brown colour. If not, recover for no more than 2 minutes.
- Flip the grilled cheese and cover again for another 3 minutes, reducing the heat by 1 setting again.
- The grilled cheese should be golden brown on both sides with the Daiya cheese full melted (yes, it melts & stretches!).
This is a fool-proof method to making the most perfect grilled cheese EVER. Play around with the ingredients, there are several flavours of Daiya cheese to please your palate. What’s your favorite? Are you a traditionalist – only cheddar will do? Ketchup or not? Share your grilled cheese memories with us!