7 Productivity Tips That Will Help You Be More Successful
This time of year is very busy for most of us. In this blog post, I’ll be sharing my productivity tips that will help you be more successful. In order for us to complete what needs to be completed, and organize what needs to be organized, we’ve got to be as productive as possible.
Do you find that you have too much on your plate? And it’s all things that you ‘have’ to do yourself? Let’s start with gratitude for a full life! I am so happy and grateful that my life is full of wonderful people and activities. Then when we approach each task to be done, we are doing so from a place of gratitude, rather than a negative feeling of I ‘have to’ do this.
Here are my productivity tips that will help you be more successful:
- Focus on one task at a time. Turn of your phone if you are working on writing or some other task that does not use your phone. Our brains operate most efficiently when we are working at one task at a time. One of the things I have caught myself doing in watching the iPad while preparing a meal. It always takes a few minutes longer to prepare it if I’m watching something.
- Create a list. If you’ve heard my nutrition seminar, you’ve heard me recommend that a to-do list has no more than 3 – 5 items on it. When you are feeling overwhelmed by the number of projects you have on the go, it’s sometimes best to write all of them down. Then you can prioritize.
- Prioritize your list. Start with the ones that have the earliest deadline. From that list, see which ones that you personally ‘have’ to do. If there is someone who can help out or take over a task, ask for help. Then break down the remaining tasks into chunks of work that take no more than 90 minutes to complete.
- Create space for 90 minute blocks of time in your schedule to get this work done. Eliminate distractions. If you work from home, close your door and let everyone know you need this time to focus. Really need quiet focus? Head to the quiet study area of your local library. Work better with background noise? Take your laptop to a coffee shop for the afternoon.
- Have a photo of what you are working towards in your visual field. Created a vision board? Make sure you can see it or a photo of it when you’re settling down to complete a task. Remind yourself why you’re doing what you do. If you don’t have the time right now to create a vision board, simply post a photo of your loved ones or maybe of a special destination. An image of your family in from of Cinderella’s castle at the Magic Kingdom may be just what you need to get things done.
- Let go of things that are no longer serving you. Keep the ones that are critical for growth and relationships. For example, cut back on social media, television, Netflix etc. Keep the date nights with your partner and the time spent with your kids, even though you might have to cut it a bit shorter than usual. Remind them that it’s only for a short time and you’ll be back on track soon. And if the truth is that this is going to become the new normal – you have two choices: Be straight about how your time commitments will change, or make changes to what you are doing so that you don’t have to sacrifice your spouse or family indefinitely.
- Ask for help. When we are completely overwhelmed and aren’t making progress on our to-do list, it’s time to ask for help. The best part about asking for help? Others generally want to help and pitch in, especially if they see you are having a hard time. Asking for help is a sign of strength, not weakness. Hire someone to help you around the house or with the kids, even if it’s just for a few weeks. Connect with your spouse or partner and ask if they can contribute as well.
What are your tips for being productive? How do you get things done? Is this something that you struggle with? I’d love to hear if my productivity tips that will help you be more successful have made a difference for you and your business.
Wealthylicious Burlington is BACK!: Want to learn how to create wealth? Please join me for an evening of wealth, wisdom and wellness on Tuesday June 20th at the Burlington Golf & Country Club. This event is full of great speakers who will share their expertise. Key topics include creating wealth and the power of network marketing. We’ll also cover how to diversify your income and invest in your health. http://www.wealthyliciousburlington.eventbrite.ca.